Frank Tsui - a member of School of Computing and Software Engineering
(1) Background Information:
- Frank has more than 30 years of experience in the Software
and IT industry. His experience includes:
- RCA --- Programmer: Compiler Development
- BlueCross BlueShield --- Analyst: Buisness Appplication System
- IBM --- Management: Software Product Mgmnt; Operating System Development; IBM-GSD Divisional Software Strategy; Application Software Development
- Marcam --- Director: Software Development Laboratory (Toronto Lab, Canada)
- Metamor/PSINet --- Vice President: Software Technology and Process
- RiverLogic Inc. --- Chief Technology Officer: Software as a Service
(2) Frank's Formal Education Includes:
- BS - from Purdue University,
- MS - from Indiana State University,
- PhD - from Georgia Tech.
- 1) Several well known industry software products were
developed under Frank's guidance: IBM's CMAS construction package, IBM's MVS/JES3 Operating System Component,
IBM's MAPICS ERP(Second Release) package, and IBM's EDI package.
- 2) Frank has been an adjunct faculty at both Georgia Tech and Southern Polytechnic State University(SPSU). He is currently a full time faculty member in Software Engineering within the School of Computing and Software Engineering at SPSU.
- Frank's book (with O. Karam and B. Bernal) titled - Essentials of Software Enginering - 3rd Edition
is available from Jones and Bartlett (2013)
- Frank's book titled - Managing Systems and IT Projects
- is available from Jones & Bartlett (2011)
- Frank's book titled - Managing Software Projects
- is also available from Jones and Bartlett (2004)
Frank's Contact Information : office phone: 678-915-5567; e-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org ; office : Room J369 at SPSU
(3) Class Notes - for Summer 2013 (None) --- I do not teach in the summer---
: Note: (class notes are modified from time to time)
Only Special Notes Below for:
SWE 4663: for J. Lartigue
(4) Some Recent Presentations & Papers :
Branch to (Short Paper) - "Software Protection with Increased Complexity and Obfuscation," 49th ACM SE Conference, Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA, March 2012.
Branch to (Paper) - "Software Composition of Different Security Level Components," Computer Technology and Application Journal, Vol. 2, Number 11, November 2011.
Branch to (Paper) - "Measuring Levels of Abstraction in Software Development," 23rd International Conference on Software Engineering and Knowledge Engineering, Miami, Florida, USA, July 2011
Branch to (Paper) - "Analysis of Software Cohesion Attribute and Test Case Development Complexity," 48th ACM SE Conference, Kennesaw, Georgia, USA, March 2011
Branch to (Paper) - "Process Definition and Communication," Encyclopedia of Software Engineering, editor P. Laplante, CRC Press, November, 2010.
Branch to (Paper) - "Relating Software Coupling Attribute and Security Vulnerability Attribute," 9th International Conference on Software Engineering Research and Practice, Las Vegas, USA, July 2010.
Branch to (Paper) - "An Examination of a Rule-Based Expert System to Aid the Implementation of the CMMI Framework," 22nd International Conference on Software Engineering and Knowledge Engineering, Redwood City, CA, USA, July 2010.
Branch to (Paper) - "A Discussion on Security Typing and Measurement for SOA," ACM SIGSOFT Software Engineering Notes, vol.34, issue 3, May 2009.
Branch to (Paper) - "On Inter-Method and Intra-Method Object Oriented Class Cohesion" - Int'l Journal of Information Technologies and Systems Approach, Vol. 2 No 1, Jan. 2009.
Branch to (Paper) - "An Ordinal Metric For Intra-Method Class Cohesion" - IADIS International Conference on Applied Computing, Algarve, Portugal, April, 2008
Branch to (Paper) - "Criteria Based Software Product Integration Architecture" - Intellectbase International Consortium (IIC) Conference - Atlanta, Georgia, USA, October, 2007; also in IIC's Journal of Applied Global Research, January, 2008.
Branch to (Presentation) - "Communications in Software Development Projects" - Atlanta SPIN, Atlanta, Georgia, USA, December, 2007
Branch to (Paper) - "Evaluating Complexities in Software Configuration Management" - 18th Annual IRMA International Conf., Vancouver, Canada, May, 2007
Branch to (Paper) - "Decoupling Metrics for Service Composition" - 5th IEEE/ACIS International Conference on Computers and Infornmation Science, Hawaii, USA. 2006
Branch to (Paper) - "Analyzing Communications Activities in Student Software Projects" - 2006 Annual ASEE Conference, Chicago, USA.
Branch to (Paper) - "Industry Advisory Board for Software Engineering:Value vs Cost" - 2005 ASEE SE Conf. at UT-Chattanooga.
Branch to (Grad. Poster Paper) - "Improving Software Project Decision-Making Process" - 2005 ACM SE Conf. at KSU.
Branch to (Presentation) "Release Management of Non-Zero Defect Software" - PSQT/PSTT 2002 South Conference, New Orleans, USA.
(5) Areas of Research and Interest :
(i)- Software Engineering and Processes; (ii)- Software Project Management; (iii)- Software Measurements
Branch to (Colloquium - My "Relatively Recent" Research Interests)
Branch to Jan. 18 2012 WAR Presentation on EVM
(6a) Personal Comments on Requirements Gathering:
"Requirements gathering and analysis needs multiple talent to
be successful, including at least industry knowlwdge and IT knowledge.
Please see Lecture Notes on Requirements Engineering (when I teach this course)."
(6b)Personal Comments on Design and Programming:
"This is the bread and butter of our field. While better
development environments and programming languages are being created, this
area still lacks discipline and good guideline. Much of the
programming effort is still vey much dependent on 'raw' talent."